Are you ready to market your music?
Before you can market your music, you need to have a plan to distribute it. If you’re not sure where to start with distribution, learn more here: Distribute Music: How and Where to Distribute Your Music (Part 1).
marketing Before your new music is out
First of all, you want to build hype for your new music before it’s even out. Here are some things you can do to build this hype:
- Create a folder on your computer of all the assets for your new release. (As a result of this folder, you’ll keep organized and be able to execute your marketing plan.)
- Have pre-sales for your music or have a crowdfunding campaign.
- Submit your music info to AllMusic.
- Write a press release. Send it out with the date your music will be released.
- Contact blogs.
- Create a music video.
- Get a mailing list (if you don’t have one already). This way you can send out an email blast about your pre-order or crowdfunding campaign.
- Create new merch.
- Set up a Dropbox or Box.com account to submit your music to music supervisors.
- Get Verified – How to Get Verified on Social Media
- Work on growing your fan base on social media – 10 Tips to Get More Fans on Social Media, 5 Ways to Instantly Look Better on Social Media for Musicians, Why You Need Social Media, What to Post on Social Media
- Get your YouTube prepared for your new music – 15 Things Your YouTube is Missing
- Prepare your SoundCloud for your new music – 21 SoundCloud Tips Every Musician Needs to Know
- Get your Spotify prepared for your new music – Spotify Tips
- Start blogging and involving your fans in the creation of your music. You can also include behind-the-scenes posts on social media. – 5 Reasons You Need to Start a Musician Blog
marketing the day you release your music
The day you release your music, you want there to be a lot of hype about it. You also want to make sure everyone knows about it. So follow these marketing tips for a successful release day:
- Make sure your music is distributed everywhere it should be.
- Post your music video to YouTube.
- Send out your press release.
- Post about your new music on your blog then share your post to social media.
- Add your new music, merch, and video to your website.
- Send out an email blast.
marketing after you release your new music
Once your music is out, you still want to continue marketing it. Follow these tips:
- Have a release show – Performing Live: Everything You Need to Know
- Live stream your release show.
- Bring your merch and CDs or Dropcards.
- Release a behind the scenes video.
- Run contests.
- Try to get into playlists.
music marketing conclusion
You don’t have to do everything on this list, but the more you do the more successful your new music should be.
What’s your favorite way to market your new music? Comment below!